Welcome to the M.V.A.S. forum. If you are an M.V.A.S. member, to gain access to members only boards, such as Club Announcements, Match Results and individual Water boards, ensure you have filled out your M.V.A.S. Membership number when registering an account, and set an avatar in your Profile after you've registered. For a Help Guide, click here.

Register a new account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello and can you give me some guidance regarding River Eden & the Medway at Leigh?
Hello
20 plus years since being a member of a club and looking forward to fishing the waters.
Can someone please confirm if Leigh on the Medway is still a water we can fish.
It is mentioned on the forum and is the book I received, but doesn't appear on the Website.
Also, many years ago the club I was a member of had the River Eden at Penshurst. A lovely stretch, with a weir and lots of good sized chub.
I went along on Saturday to reacquaint myself with this stretch of river, but found the grass and brambles impenetrable - very sad.
Is their a plan to open up the stretch (work party) or is it a case of trying to cut a way through when you go?
I appreciate the level is very low at the moment, but possibly that's a good time to open the bank up?
Apologies for my ignorance on these matters, but it once was a really nice place to visit and fish.   
Thanks
Hi John, both these waters were under review and we will monitor the amount of use they get in the next season. Response from the questionaire on membership renewals indicated that only a handfull of anglers visited these waters. I suspect the main reason was accessibility with the minute number of members willing to give up a couple of hours a couple of times a year we have to concentrate on the more popular and accessible venues first.
Some anglers says they prefer the stalking method on The Eden and don't mind a bit of growth on the bank. At the Leigh Barrier I understand the gate is an issue for those carrying anything like moderate tackle. Unless we get someone who's enthusiastic about either or both these waters they're likely to remain low down the priority list.
The club have some good strimmers which members are welcome to use (for club waters) if they wish to improve a few swims on these stretches.
Sorry we can't be more helpful than that at present, hopefully we'll get some feedback from a few others but don't hold your breath!
(27-07-2018, 10:40 AM)Medway Mick Wrote: Hi John, both these waters were under review and we will monitor the amount of use they get in the next season. Response from the questionaire on membership renewals indicated that only a handfull of anglers visited these waters. I suspect the main reason was accessibility with the minute number of members willing to give up a couple of hours a couple of times a year we have to concentrate on the more popular and accessible venues first.
Some anglers says they prefer the stalking method on The Eden and don't mind a bit of growth on the bank. At the Leigh Barrier I understand the gate is an issue for those carrying anything like moderate tackle. Unless we get someone who's enthusiastic about either or both these waters they're likely to remain low down the priority list.
The club have some good strimmers which members are welcome to use (for club waters) if they wish to improve a few swims on these stretches.
Sorry we can't be more helpful than that at present, hopefully we'll get some feedback from a few others but don't hold your breath!
Hello Mick
Many thanks for your response and apologies for the delay in mine.
Totally understand about both waters - I was surprised when they were on the list, as obviously the concentration is in and around Maidstone. As I had fished them both many years ago I thought I'd go again.
I will possibly revisit the Eden and take a sickle with me! Had my first outing on Sunday to Great Danes. Great venue if you want to keep out of the rain and gale force winds!!
Hi John
I'm glad you enjoyed your day at Great Danes. It is a good venue for catching fish, although the weather wasn't very kind to you. I hope you enjoy the other venues on offer with some nice varied fishing. I may bump into you at some point doing my rounds at Great Danes.
(30-07-2018, 05:19 PM)YThanks Cphil the jag Wrote: YHi John
I'm glad you enjoyed your day at Great Danes. It is a good venue for catching fish, although the weather wasn't very kind to you. I hope you enjoy the other venues on offer with some nice varied fishing. I may bump into you at some point doing my rounds at Great Danes.

Hello Phil - Thanks! Off to Weirton today; no wind and rain this time, the umbrella will be for the scorching sun! Dare say meet you at Great Danes at some point in the future. ATB