Welcome to the M.V.A.S. forum. If you are an M.V.A.S. member, to gain access to members only boards, such as Club Announcements, Match Results and individual Water boards, ensure you have filled out your M.V.A.S. Membership number when registering an account, and set an avatar in your Profile after you've registered. For a Help Guide, click here.

Register a new account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all, just joined
Lookig forward to fishing some of the venue's, are there any that are easy to negotiate as I am disabled
(17-06-2019, 08:32 PM)barrykent Wrote: Lookig forward to fishing some of the venue's, are there any that are easy to negotiate as I am disabled

Hi Barry,
Welcome to the club. I wouldn't say any of our venues are difficult to negotiate but, like any place some swims will be more difficult to get to so, obviously you'd have to avoid these. At the same time we all must take care when walking along the bank for hazards.
Great Danes is fairly flat, with no steep banks, and just a very short walk to the fishing, it also has a disabled swim.
Phil. ( Bailiff )
It really depends what you struggle with Barry. Some of our guys are fine walking a reasonable distance but don't have the ability to negotiate awkward banks with their tackle, others have breathing problems and can't walk far for other reasons.
Hi Barry, I'm a disabled member as I have COPD which means that I cannot walk far carrying my fishing tackle especially up a slope.  The only place I find I can fish comfortably without any distress is Mote Park.  If you have a blue badge, you can drive in via the Park and Ride entrance on Willington Street and park next to the lake.  Depending on the level of your disability, you might find things different but the only swims I can fish are on the wall as if I try to use the platforms I find it extremely difficult to get back up to the road with my tackle.

A lot of work has been done at Barming on the river Medway to make the swims more comfortable and for the first ten swims downstream of Barming bridge, you can park behind the swims but it is still maybe 10-30yds from where you park.

I used to enjoy fishing Hinx Hill where you could drive virtually up to 20-30yds from the lake but now you have to park by the gate which is maybe 400-500yds from the lake.  So walking to and fro is hard work for me so I now have to give this a miss.

The Great Danes is fine for me on the way down to the lake but walking back is extremely difficult with my breathing problems.

Hope this has been of some help to you.  If you have any more questions, please send me a message or give me a ring on 01622 671871.

Cheers, Gerry
Aldington is also very easy to fish in nearly all the swims. You can drop off at your swim but must park in the designated area. Depending on where you fish, this could be within 20 yards of your car.
Hi Barry, You could also Claygates Lake Eva level ground and next to the parking area. Just show your membership card to the bailiff for free fishing with 1 rod! plenty for fish in the lake.
(21-06-2019, 05:27 PM)Paul Watts Wrote: Hi Barry, You could also Claygates Lake Eva level ground and next to the parking area. Just show your membership card to the bailiff for free fishing with 1 rod! plenty for fish in the lake.

Can anyone tell me how I can get my membership card as I do not have one yet
Barry was this a postal application? If so when did you send it on please?
Hi, no I did it online just over a week ago
(01-07-2019, 08:50 AM)barrykent Wrote: Hi, no I did it online just over a week ago

Hi Barry, we've discovered a few of these online applications that gave us no notification. The membership secretary is putting you pack together as I write this and I will post it through your door in the next day or two. (Thursday latest)

Sorry for the inconvenience.